FAQ’s & Quick Facts
- Campers are divided into cabins by age, we do not separate our youth based on gender identity/expression
- Campers enjoy 3 hearty meals a day, served in a large dining hall where they engage in fun activities and meaningful conversation
- Campers choose the workshops they attend at camp and have the option of up to 5 workshops a day
- Camp Staff and CIT’s facilitate fun group activities every day! Some of these activities include: Camp Variety Show, all camp scavenger hunt, theatre performances and skits
- Camp OUTdoors! began in 2008 in Prescott, AZ as a college project of Kado Stewart, Camp Director. The first year 42 campers attended. We have grown exponentially in the past 10 years, to be the largest LGBTQ camp program in the country.
- Each year upwards of 350 youth apply to attend Camp OUTdoors! We are able to bring 150 youth from Arizona to camp each year and up to 25 out of state campers.
- Youth ages 11-24 attend camp, with the majority of the youth selected being under 18. Youth come from all over the state, including Phoenix, Yuma, Flagstaff, Prescott, Tucson, Lake Havasu and everywhere in between. We’ve had campers join us from all across the country, as well as from Mexico & Canada
- Over 100 perspective volunteers apply to donate their time to Camp OUTdoors! each year. 50 qualified volunteers are selected to attend Camp OUTdoors! from Thursday-Monday. Dozens of workshop facilitators join us to lead 90 minute workshop sessions. Each overnight volunteer undergoes a background check & attends a mandatory day and a half volunteer training
- The OUTscouts! is a program of Camp OUTdoors! & one n ten. The OUTscouts! is an adventure based group comprised of dedicated youth who help plan Camp OUTdoors! The OUTscouts! help select workshops and volunteers for camp & facilitate their own wilderness-based workshops at camp. The OUTscouts! plan throughout the year and partake in backpacking, rock climbing and survival skills training to improve their knowledge and skillset
- Each year we choose 15 passionate youth to be a part of our intensive Counselors In Training (CIT) program. CIT”s are considered campers, but act as peer leaders in their cabins. CITs attend a special pre-camp CIT Boot Camp, where they come together to bond, develop their skills, and start planning camp activities for their perspective cabins. To be eligible for the CIT program, applicants must be between the ages of 20-24 and be at least a second year returning camper.
Application/Tuition FAQ’s & Quick Facts:
- Tuition for Out Of State Campers (non-Arizona residents) is $400. This cost includes travel to and from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, all program supplies, food, lodging, and more. This does not include your flight to/from Phoenix
- Tuition for Arizona Residents is free, however we only select 150 youth from all of Arizona to attend
- We believe that diversity among our campers/staff helps create a better camp experience for all
- Campers are chosen by a committee of staff and volunteers based on the camper’s application and essay question answers