FAQ’s & Quick Facts
Program FAQ’s & Quick Facts:
- Campers are divided into cabins by age, we do not separate our youth based on gender identity/expression
- Campers enjoy 3 hearty meals a day, served in a large dining hall where they engage in fun activities and meaningful conversations
- Campers choose the workshops that they attend at camp and have the options of up to 5 workshops a day
- Camp Staff and CIT’s facilitate fun group activities every day! Some of these activities include: Drag shows, all camp scavenger hunts, theatre performances and skits
- Camp OUTdoors! began in 2008 in Prescott, AZ as a College Project of Kado Stewart (Camp Director). The first year 42 campers attended. We have grown exponentially in the past 9 years, to be the largest LGBTQ camp program in the country.
- Each year upwards of 350 youth apply to attend Camp OUTdoors! We are able to bring 150 youth from Arizona up to camp each year and up to an additional 25 out of state campers.
- Youth ages 11-24 attend camp, with the majority of the youth we choose being under 18. Youth come from all over the state, including Phoenix, Yuma, Flagstaff, Prescott, Tucson, Lake Havasu and beyond. We also have had youth from Mexico and several states attend
- Upwards of 200 perspective volunteers apply to donate their time each year. We choose 50 qualified volunteers to attend camp from Thursday-Monday and dozens of workshop leaders to facilitate a 1.5 hour workshop. Every overnight volunteer is background checked and attends a mandatory day and a half pre camp training
- The OUTscouts! is a program of Camp OUTdoors! & one n ten. The OUTscouts! is an adventure based group comprised of 15 dedicated youth who are currently helping plan this years camp. This youth committee helps choose workshops and volunteers for camp and lead their own wilderness based workshops at camp. The OUTscouts! plan throughout the year and partake in backpacking, rock climbing and survival skill training to better their skills
- Each year we choose 15 passionate youth to be a part of our intensive Counselors In Training (CIT) program. CIT’s are considered campers, but act as peer leaders in their cabins. CIT ‘s attend a special pre-camp “CIT Boot Camp”, where they come together to bond, develop their skills, and start planning camp activities for their perspective cabins. To be eligible for the CIT program, applicants must be between the ages of 20-24 and be at least a second year returning camper.
Application/Tuition FAQ’s & Quick Facts:
- Tuition for Out Of State Campers (non-Arizona residents) is $400. This cost includes travel to and from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, all program supplies, food, lodging, and more. This does not include your flight to/from Phoenix
- Tuition for Arizona Residents is free, however we only choose 150 youth from all of Arizona to attend (application process)
- We choose a wide variety of campers from all upbringings we believe that diversity among our campers/staff helps create a better camp experience for all
- Campers are chosen by a committee of staff and volunteers based on the campers application and essay questions.